It’s safe to assume that auto insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. People who shop around once a year are likely to switch insurance companies because there are good odds of finding good coverage at a lower price. A study showed that people who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved approximately $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding low prices for car insurance in Anchorage is your intention, then learning a little about the best way to shop and compare insurance premiums can help simplify the process.
The recommended way to get more affordable car insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies who can sell car insurance in Anchorage.
Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as traffic violations, accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Read the full article for additional ideas to find cheap rates and earn larger discounts.
Step 2: Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies. View rates
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save money and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Step 4: Tell your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to your new company or agent. Immediately put the proof of insurance paperwork with the vehicle registration.
One bit of advice is to try to compare the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to compare as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Companies offering Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Anchorage
The companies shown below are ready to provide price quotes in Anchorage, AK. If you want the cheapest car insurance in Anchorage, we recommend you get prices from several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Don’t neglect these nine discounts on Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Anchorage
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every policy discount very well, so we took the time to find both well-publicized and the more hidden credits available to you.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having an actively deployed family member may lower your prices slightly.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring several vehicles on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Sign Early and Save – A few larger companies offer discounts for switching companies before your current SLS AMG insurance policy expires. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles optioned with advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Anchorage car insurance quote.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Responsible Drivers – Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than less cautious drivers.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a course in safe driver could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. But all discounts should help reduce the cost of coverage.
Popular car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include homeowner, bundle discounts, early shopping, multi-car, and alternative fuel.
- State Farm offers discounts including anti-theft, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, and passive restraint.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for new graduate, safety features, newly married, multi-car, multi-policy, exclusive group savings, and new vehicle discount.
- MetLife may have discounts that include defensive driver, accident-free, good driver, good student, multi-policy, and claim-free.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner.
Before buying, ask each company or agent to give you their best rates. Discounts may not be available in your area. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies who offer free Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance quotes in Alaska, click here to view.
It’s not one size fits all
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different and your policy should reflect that.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Comparing prices from local Anchorage insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting neighborhood agents is still important in Anchorage.
By using this quick form, your information is transmitted to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to contact an agency because prices are sent immediately to you. It’s the lowest rates AND a local agent. If you wish to quote rates for a specific company, you can always jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Choose the right auto insurance agent
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a local insurance agency, there are two types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Agencies in Anchorage can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are not employed by one company and that allows them to write policies through many companies and find you the best rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they can switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent.
When searching for an agent, you should always get quotes from multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Anchorage that can give you price quote information.
Alaskan General Insurance
1400 W Benson Blvd # 500 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 297-4500 – View Map
Alaska Pacific Insurance Agency dba: APIA Insurance
912 E 15th Ave #100 – Anchorage, AK 99501 – (800) 890-5563 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents work for only one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Anchorage who can help you get price quote information.
Finding the right insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How many companies do they write for?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Anchorage?
Car insurance coverage information
Understanding the coverages of car insurance helps when choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are the normal coverages found on the average car insurance policy.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things like backing into a parked car, colliding with a tree, colliding with another moving vehicle, hitting a mailbox and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your SLS AMG to bring the cost down.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 50/100/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed and vandalism. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
Medical expense insurance
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for EMT expenses, doctor visits, X-ray expenses, dental work and rehabilitation expenses. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 50/100/25 that translate to a limit of $50,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $100,000, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as pain and suffering, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and structural damage. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Alaska requires drivers to carry at least 50/100/25 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The chart below shows why minimum state limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
One last thing to lower rates
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. The goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Cost effective Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance is available on the web in addition to many Anchorage insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not provide rates over the internet and many times these regional carriers only sell through independent agencies.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- How Much are Anchorage Car Insurance Quotes for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Anchorage Auto Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with Accidents in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Anchorage Car Insurance for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Anchorage Car Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Anchorage Auto Insurance Rates for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)