Truthfully, the best way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates in Anchorage is to do a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Alaska. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of how insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that cause high rates like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit score can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Later in this article we will cover ideas to find cheap prices and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a better price and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to use identical deductibles and limits on each quote and and to look at as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. People who get comparison quotes at least once a year are highly likely to switch to a new company because of the high probability of finding good coverage at a lower price. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who compared price quotes annually saved $3,450 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the cheapest price on car insurance is your ultimate goal, then knowing the best way to shop and compare insurance premiums can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
Earn discounts to get lower-cost Anchorage car insurance quotes
Not too many consumers would say car insurance is affordable, but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts apply automatically when you complete an application, but some must be asked for before being credited.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen with less frequency and will qualify for a discount on a Anchorage auto insurance quote.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used Grand Cherokee can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers can save substantially compared to bad drivers.
- Smart Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Life Insurance Discount – Insurance carriers who offer life insurance give a discounted price on car insurance if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying a policy with all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Data Collection Discounts – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to scrutinize driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will definitely reduce the amount you have to pay.
The diagram below shows the comparison of Jeep Grand Cherokee insurance rates with and without policy discounts. Data assumes a male driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Alaska state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and their offered discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, multi-policy, and anti-lock brakes.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for student away at school, company car, anti-theft, group or association, and mature driver.
- American Family discounts include air bags, TimeAway discount, early bird, good driver, and bundled insurance.
- Esurance may offer discounts for good driver, DriveSense, homeowner, online shopper, and Pac-12 alumni.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online signing, online quote discount, and good student.
- State Farm offers discounts for driver’s education, safe vehicle, accident-free, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- AAA has discounts for good driver, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, education and occupation, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
When getting free Anchorage auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each company or agent how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above may not apply everywhere. If you would like to see a list of insurers with discount rates in Alaska, click here.
How to lower your Jeep Grand Cherokee insurance cost in Anchorage, Alaska
Finding a lower price on Jeep Grand Cherokee insurance isn’t really that difficult. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes comparing rate quotes from different insurance companies.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in Anchorage, AK. If you wish to find the best cheap auto insurance in Alaska, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Auto insurance statistics for a Jeep Grand Cherokee
The rate table displayed below outlines detailed analysis of policy rates for Jeep Grand Cherokee models. Having a good understanding how auto insurance policy rates are formulated can assist in making informed decisions when comparing rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$202||$414||$286||$16||$86||$1,004||$84|
|Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD||$202||$414||$286||$16||$86||$1,004||$84|
|Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD||$228||$488||$286||$16||$86||$1,104||$92|
|Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$228||$488||$286||$16||$86||$1,104||$92|
|Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4WD||$228||$488||$286||$16||$86||$1,104||$92|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Alaska minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can revise insurance rates substantially.
Careless Anchorage drivers pay higher rates
The information below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders increase Jeep Grand Cherokee car insurance costs for each age group. The premium estimates are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Full coverage versus liability-only in Anchorage
The information below illustrates the difference between Jeep Grand Cherokee insurance premiums with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The prices are based on no violations or claims, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to drop full coverage
There is no set guideline of when to eliminate comp and collision coverage, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Jeep Grand Cherokee replacement cost is $9,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $8,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying in excess of $800 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some conditions where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
How do Car Insurance Companies Determine Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance Premiums?
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower premium levels.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money – Cars with five star safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles protect occupants better and lower rates of occupant injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can result in lower premiums. If your Jeep Grand Cherokee scored at minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you may be receiving a better rate.
- Being married is a bonus – Getting married can get you a discount on car insurance. Having a significant other is viewed as being more financially stable and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Small coverages can add up – There are many optional add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t diligent. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, accidental death, and Farm Bureau memberships are probably not needed. The coverages may be enticing when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Raising comp and collision deductibles saves money – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, protects your car from damage. Some examples of covered claims would be a windshield broken by a bird, vandalism, and having a roll-over accident. The more of the claim the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Liability insurance safeguards assets – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance provides coverage in the event that you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Drive lots and pay more – The more miles you rack up on your Jeep in a year’s time the higher your rate. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos that have low annual miles qualify for better rates than those that get driven frequently. Improper usage on your Grand Cherokee is just wasting money. Make sure your declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Insurance loss statistics a Jeep Grand Cherokee – Insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle in order to profitably underwrite each model. Vehicles that historically have a trend towards higher claims will be charged more to insure.
The table below outlines the historical loss data for Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles, as a total average, is represented as 100. Numbers under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 point to more claims or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Jeep Grand Cherokee 4dr 2WD 81 111 71 62 60 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4dr 4WD 91 112 98 67 63 89BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local insurance agents
Some consumers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. A good thing about comparing rates online is you may find lower rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local agencies is important especially in Anchorage.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your car insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered to your email. If you wish to get a price quote for a specific company, you just need to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
When researching a reliable agent, there are two types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Anchorage can be described as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can write policy coverage, but it is a good idea to know the subtle differences because it may have an impact on the type of agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent agents are not limited to a single company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If your premiums go up, the business is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you get insurance quotes from independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many write coverage with different regional companies which may have better rates.
Featured below are independent agents in Anchorage who can help you get rate quotes.
- Marsh Mc Lennan Agency
1031 W 4th Ave #400 – Anchorage, AK 99501 – (907) 276-5617 – View Map
- Horace Mann Insurance Co
7926 Old Seward Hwy – Anchorage, AK 99518 – (907) 561-1393 – View Map
- Alaska Pacific Insurance Agency dba: APIA Insurance
912 E 15th Ave #100 – Anchorage, AK 99501 – (800) 890-5563 – View Map
Agents in the exclusive channel normally can only provide a single company’s rates like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. These agents receive extensive training on sales techniques which can be an advantage. Drivers often use the same exclusive agent primarily because of the prominent brand name rather than low price.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Anchorage willing to provide price quote information.
- Randy Rhodes State Farm Insurance
5915 Lake Otis Pkwy Suite 2 – Anchorage, AK 99507 – (907) 644-7997 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Babette Miller
3304 Spenard Rd – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 561-7671 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Devery Prince Agency Team
401 E Fireweed Ln Ste 200 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 279-9000 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agency shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Alaska?
- How long has their agency been in business in Anchorage?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
If you get good responses as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found an auto insurance agent that can be trusted to adequately provide car insurance.
Car insurance is not optional in Alaska
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Jeep in Anchorage, car insurance is required in Alaska but also provides important benefits.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Alaska these limits are 50/100/25 which means you must have $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Jeep for a lot more money and make you pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in America overpays more than $825 a year so smart consumers compare quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Alaska auto insurance companies ranked
Ending up with the right insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many companies sell insurance in Alaska. The company rank data shown below can help you pick which coverage providers to look at comparing prices from.
Top 10 Anchorage Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- The General – A-
- AAA Insurance – A
- Liberty Mutual – A
Top 10 Anchorage Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- The General
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- 21st Century
Quote. Compare. Save.
We’ve covered many ways to get a better price on Jeep Grand Cherokee insurance in Anchorage. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better likelihood of getting affordable Anchorage auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, being labeled a high risk driver, unfair underwriting practices and even delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, finding a great new company is actually quite simple.
When getting Anchorage auto insurance quotes online, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
To learn more, take a look at the articles below:
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Government Employees in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Anchorage Car Insurance Rates for 4×4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Nurses in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Anchorage, Alaska? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)