It’s an obvious statement that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Insureds who shop around for the cheapest price will presumably buy a different policy because they have a good chance of getting low-cost coverage. A survey found that drivers who compared prices once a year saved about $72 a month compared to drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding discount rates on car insurance in Anchorage is your objective, knowing the best way to shop and compare insurance premiums can help you succeed in saving money.
The most effective way to get discount Honda HR-V insurance in Anchorage is to annually compare prices from companies who sell auto insurance in Alaska.
- Read and learn about how insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as tickets, at-fault accidents, and a low credit score can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Keep reading for additional ideas to find cheap rates and find discounts that may have been missed.
- Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to use similar coverage information on each price quote and and to analyze all possible companies. This provides a fair price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Locating the best rates in Anchorage is not that difficult. If you have a policy now or need new coverage, use these money-saving tips to get lower rates and still have adequate protection. You only need to know the fastest way to compare price quotes from many companies at once.
Do you qualify for these five discounts?
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there may be some discounts to help offset the cost. Many discounts should be triggered at the time of quoting, but a few must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on insurance.
- Government Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with select insurance companies.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in high school.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving less could be rewarded with substantially lower rates.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
You should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders these benefits are:
Before you buy a policy, ask each insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies in Anchorage.
The providers in the list below provide price quotes in Anchorage, AK. If you want to find cheaper car insurance in Alaska, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Everyone needs different auto insurance coverages
When it comes to choosing insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Honda HR-V is totaled?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- Does my Honda HR-V need full coverage?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Independent or exclusive auto insurance agents
A small number of people would prefer to go talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you can get the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
By using this quick form, your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Anchorage who will return price quotes for your business. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If you have a need to get a rate quote for a specific company, you can always visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing a provider should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- If they are an independent agency in Anchorage, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
Why you need insurance
Even though Anchorage HR-V insurance rates can get expensive, paying for insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Alaska these limits are 50/100/25 which means you must have $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Honda has a lienholder, almost every bank will have a requirement that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may buy a policy for your Honda at an extremely high rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves both your Honda HR-V and your assets. It will also cover medical bills for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Honda as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $820 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Car insurance specifics
Knowing the specifics of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are the normal coverages found on the average car insurance policy.
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance covers damage to your HR-V resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things such as crashing into a building, hitting a parking meter and scraping a guard rail. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your HR-V in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 50/100/25 that means you have $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for claims like medical expenses, emergency aid, repair costs for stationary objects, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and bail bonds. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Alaska requires minimum liability limits of 50/100/25 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why minimum state limits may not be enough coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Honda HR-V.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 50/100/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from flooding, theft, fire damage and a broken windshield. The maximum payout a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical expense coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for immediate expenses for things like hospital visits, surgery, dental work, X-ray expenses and chiropractic care. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Find cheap rates by being thorough
We’ve covered many tips how you can shop for Honda HR-V insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Anchorage car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best car insurance rates are with an unexpected company. Smaller companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Anchorage Car Insurance Rates for 4×4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Santa Fe in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)