It’s well known that car insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Insureds who shop rates annually are likely to switch companies because the odds are good of getting low-cost coverage. A recent survey revealed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved on average $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding the cheapest price for car insurance in Anchorage is your intention, then having some insight into how to quote prices and compare insurance can make it easier for you to save money.
The best way we recommend to find discount car insurance rates is to compare prices annually from insurers in Anchorage.
- First, try to understand what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many factors that result in higher prices like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article gives more details to help find cheaper rates and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and determine if cheaper Terraza coverage is available in Anchorage. If you can save money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your existing policy and submit a completed policy application and payment to the new insurer. As soon as coverage is bound, store the certificate of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
The most important part of shopping around is that you use identical deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to get prices from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Auto insurance companies don’t list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of some of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits available to you.
- Student in College – Older children who are attending college and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy with the same insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a defensive driver class could cut 5% off your bill and also improve your driving technique.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Options like air bags can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage can earn better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Memberships – Having an affiliation with a professional or civic organization could earn you a nice discount when getting a Anchorage car insurance quote.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Some companies that may include most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company to apply every possible discount. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered everywhere. If you would like to see a list of providers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Anchorage, click here.
Cutting your Anchorage auto insurance rates can be quick and easy. The only requirement is to invest a little time comparing price quotes from online providers.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it a waste of time to call or drive to all the different Anchorage insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the trained advice of a local agency. Some companies do allow you to get the lowest quotes online but buy the policy through an agent.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price comparisons in Alaska. If you want cheap car insurance in Alaska, we suggest you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Why Informed Consumers Pay Less for Buick Terraza Insurance
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the things that help calculate car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
The factors shown below are just a few of the factors used by insurance companies to determine your rates.
Affects performance affects auto insurance rates – The performance level of the car you own makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Small economy passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Being married equates to better premiums – Getting married helps lower the price on your car insurance bill. It usually means you are less irresponsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
No policy claims equals cheap car insurance rates – If you tend to file frequent claims, you should expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Companies in Alaska give the best rates to people who only file infrequent claims. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
Your age impacts your rates – Older, more experienced drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cause fewer claims and accidents, and receive fewer citations. Beginning drivers have been known to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving with friends and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
Physical damage deductibles – Comp and collision deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage protection, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some coverage claims are a windshield broken by a bird, fire damage, and damage from wind. The larger the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Some car insurance companies will give lower prices for people who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. The discount can be ten percent or more. Even with this discount, it’s always a smart idea to comparison shop to ensure the best deal.
Prevent your car from being stolen – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft deterrent systems such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
Lower premiums for vehicles with better crash test results – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower injury rates means your insurance company pays less passed on to you as lower rates. If the Buick Terraza scored at minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions might point out if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Buick Terraza?
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
When to get advice from an insurance agency
Many people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good agents can help you choose the best coverages and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find better rates and still buy from a local agent. And providing support for neighborhood agents is definitely important in Anchorage.
Once you complete this quick form, the quote information is emailed to insurance agents in Anchorage who want to provide quotes for your business. There is no reason to find an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to you. If you have a need to quote rates from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you’re trying to find a reliable insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in Anchorage can be described as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can sell and service car insurance coverage, but it’s a good idea to understand the differences since it could factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by one company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s a good idea to include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Featured below are independent agents in Anchorage that may be able to give free car insurance quotes.
Kent S Kallander Insurance Agency Inc
1317 W Northern Lights Blvd #9 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 563-1492 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only write with one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in Anchorage that can give you price quotes.
Deciding on an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
After getting good feedback to all your questions and a good coverage price, it’s a good possibility that you have found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to adequately provide car insurance. Just be aware that policyholders can cancel coverage whenever you want so don’t feel you are locked into the car insurance policy indefinitely.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Even though Anchorage Terraza insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Alaska these limits are 50/100/25 which means you must have $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Terraza with a loan, more than likely the lender will force you to buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Buick at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves both your Buick and your assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Terraza outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in Anchorage overpays as much as $750 every year so smart consumers compare quotes once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Affordable coverage is out there
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to lower your Buick Terraza insurance premium rates in Anchorage. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from the least-expected company.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
People leave their current company for many reasons like high prices, policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent or delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company is actually quite simple.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)