It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Drivers who compare other prices will presumably buy a new policy because the odds are good of finding a lower rate. A recent study showed that drivers who shopped around annually saved $3,500 over four years compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the lowest rates on car insurance is why you’re reading this, then having some insight into the best way to quote and compare coverages can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
The recommended way to get more affordable Volkswagen Atlas insurance is to compare prices annually from insurers who provide car insurance in Anchorage.
- Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that cause high rates like high-risk driving behaviors and a negative credit history can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies. View a list of agents
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the required down payment along with the signed application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, safely store the certificate verifying coverage with your registration paperwork.
A tip to remember is to make sure you enter identical deductibles and limits on every quote request and to quote with as many companies as you can. This provides the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Alaska. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Take advantage of these premium slashing discounts
Companies don’t always list all their discounts very well, so the below list has both well-publicized and the more hidden insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving less can earn cheaper prices.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with some insurance companies.
- Cautious Driver Discount – Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy with the same insurance company you may earn at least 10% off all policies.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking time to complete a class that teaches defensive driving techniques is a good idea and can lower rates and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- New Car Discount – Putting coverage on a new Atlas may earn a small discount since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Good Student Discount – Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- E-sign – A few larger online companies provide a small discount get Anchorage auto insurance online.
You should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you could get a free insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
A list of insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online quote discount, good student, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online signing, and continuous coverage.
- AAA has savings for multi-car, good student, good driver, multi-policy, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include early shopping, good student, mature driver, business and professional, homeowner, and distant student.
- GEICO may offer discounts for driver training, seat belt use, multi-vehicle, federal employee, and membership and employees.
- Esurance includes discounts for safety device, paid-in-full, renters, online quote, and online shopper.
- SAFECO has discounts for anti-theft, safe driver, bundle discounts, drive less, teen safety rewards, and teen safe driver.
- State Farm offers discounts for multiple policy, anti-theft, good student, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, multiple autos, and safe vehicle.
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which discounts you may be entitled to. Savings might not apply in Anchorage. If you would like to view insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Alaska, click this link.
You Can Change Your Insurance Premiums
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower rates. Lots of things are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
Shown below are some of the items used by companies to determine rates.
- Credit score impacts premium costs – Credit rating factor in determining what you pay for insurance. People that have good credit tend to be more responsible than those with worse credit. If your credit rating could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Volkswagen Atlas if you improve your credit rating.
- Lower performance equals lower insurance rates – The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your rates. Low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Drive less and save – Driving more miles in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Incorrect rating for your Atlas may be wasting your money. It’s a smart idea to ensure your insurance coverage shows the correct usage.
- Lower rates by increasing comp and collision deductibles – Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your Volkswagen. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be a broken side mirror, damage caused by hail, and rolling your vehicle. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles state the amount of money the insured will be required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The more of the claim you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Filing insurance claims can increase rates – Companies in Alaska give the lowest premiums to people who file claims infrequently. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of claims that pose a financial burden.
Local Anchorage insurance agencies
A small number of people still like to talk to an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Most agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still have a local agent.
By using this simple form, the quote information is submitted to insurance agents in Anchorage who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. There is no reason to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If you wish to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you would need to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking a provider requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- What insurance companies do they work with in Anchorage?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- How are claims handled?
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you’re trying to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance agents in Anchorage are either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both can write policy coverage, but it is important to understand why they differ since it could factor into buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Drivers often use the same agent mainly due to high brand loyalty rather than low rates.
Listed below are exclusive agents in Anchorage that can give you comparison quotes.
- Lisa Sanders – State Farm Insurance Agent
8427 Laviento Dr #201 – Anchorage, AK 99515 – (907) 344-0506 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Roy Briley
1577 C St Ste 102 – Anchorage, AK 99501 – (907) 297-2900 – View Map
- Gary Annis – State Farm Insurance Agent
3330 C St #101 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 563-1960 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, your agent can switch companies and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing rates, you absolutely need to compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. Many can place coverage with companies you’ve never heard of which may have better rates.
Below are Anchorage independent agencies willing to provide price quotes.
- Aurora Insurance Services – A Horace Mann Company
4450 Cordova St #120 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 563-5300 – View Map
- Umialik Insurance Company
3301 C St #300 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 338-5445 – View Map
- Insurance Group Of Alaska
505 W Northern Lights Blvd #216 – Anchorage, AK 99503 – (907) 276-9600 – View Map
Be persistent and save
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like policy non-renewal, policy cancellation, delays in responding to claim requests or high prices. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company can be easier than you think.
You just read many tips how you can reduce Volkswagen Atlas insurance premium rates online in Anchorage. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a lesser-known regional company.
The cheapest Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Anchorage is attainable on the web in addition to many Anchorage insurance agents, so you need to quote Anchorage auto insurance with both to have the best selection. Some companies may not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
Additional learning opportunities
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)