It takes a little time, but the best way to get budget Chevy Sonic insurance in Anchorage is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from different companies who sell auto insurance in Alaska. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- First, try to learn a little about auto insurance and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that drive up the price like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a poor credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article provides instructions to prevent expensive rate increases and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to your new insurance company. Don’t forget to safely store the certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A tip to remember is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as possible. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
Sad but true, the vast majority of consumers in Alaska have bought car insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. American insurance shoppers could cut their rates by roughly 47% a year, but they don’t know how much savings they would realize if they bought a different policy.
Why Your Insurance Costs might be higher
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the factors that come into play when calculating your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
The factors shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors companies use to determine prices.
Prices also based on gender – Over the last 30 years, statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Females and males are in auto accidents at about the same rate, but males have accidents that have higher claims. In addition to higher claims, males also get ticketed for serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
Prevent your car from being stolen – Purchasing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you some money. Anti-theft devices like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all hinder car theft and help bring rates down.
Don’t abuse claims – Insurance companies in Alaska provide lower rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you file claims often, you can expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Always keep your car insurance policy in place – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a quick way to increase your car insurance rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Alaska motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Rates impacted by your city – Living in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. People in densely populated areas regularly have traffic congestion and more time behind the wheel. Fewer drivers and short commutes means a lower chance of having an accident in addition to fewer liability claims.
Save money by having multiple policies – Lots of car insurance companies will award discounts to people who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to compare other company rates to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
Insurance loss data for a Chevy Sonic – Companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle to determine a rate that will be profitable for them. Vehicles that historically have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have a higher cost to insure.
The next table shows the actual insurance loss data for Chevy Sonic vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is a value of 100. Values that are under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or tendency to have larger claims.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance discounts help lower rates for Chevy Sonic insurance in Anchorage
Companies don’t necessarily list every discount available very well, so we researched some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous ways to save on insurance. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you could be saving more on your insurance.
- Save with a New Car – Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Professional Memberships – Joining a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Low Miles Discount – Keeping the miles down on your Chevy may enable drivers to earn cheaper insurance rates.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds who allow driving data collection to monitor driving patterns by installing a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Anchorage Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house in Anchorage can save a few bucks since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you will save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies prior to your current Sonic insurance policy expiration. You could save around 10% when you buy Anchorage auto insurance online.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of insurance companies and some of the discounts include:
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multiple policy, driver’s education, Drive Safe & Save, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO includes discounts for air bags, membership and employees, daytime running lights, good student, and military active duty.
- Allstate has discounts for premier plus, good payer, safe driver, auto/life discount, and economy car.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include anti-theft, accident prevention training, safe driver, drive less, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, and homeowner.
- Farm Bureau has savings for multi-policy, good student, renewal discount, youthful driver, driver training, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- AAA offers discounts for multi-car, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, education and occupation, good student, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
When getting free Anchorage auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be offered in Anchorage.
Best auto insurance company in Alaska
Selecting the highest-rated car insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many companies sell insurance in Anchorage. The ranking information displayed below can help you analyze which companies you want to consider shopping prices with.
Top 10 Anchorage Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- The General
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- 21st Century
Top 10 Anchorage Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- State Farm – 90%
- GEICO – 89%
- The Hartford – 89%
- The General – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Esurance – 87%
Cheaper insurance premiums are possible
The cheapest Chevy Sonic insurance in Anchorage is available on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agencies.
When getting Anchorage auto insurance quotes online, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
To read more, take a look at these articles:
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Uninsured Drivers in Anchorage? (FAQ)
- How Much are Anchorage Auto Insurance Quotes for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Anchorage Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Anchorage Car Insurance Quotes for High Risk Drivers? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)